The old adage says ” When life hands you lemons, make lemonade”.
Which basically translates to turning a sour situation into a sweet one. A good thing to ALWAYS keep in mind….don’t you think?
A few days ago, my freezer was void of frozen dessert (a sour situation) :-(. It just so happens, my in-laws gave me lemons from their backyard. So, I sweetened the situation and made a Lemon-Coconut Gelato.
I’ve got to tell you, this is a truly delectable treat!
It’s like a yin yang effect on the taste buds, when the tartness of the lemon has you puckering one moment, while the sweet, creaminess of the coconut & cream balances it all out.
Lemon-Coconut Gelato – loosely adapted from this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 1/2 cup lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. limoncello
- 1/2 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
- Whisk the egg yolks and heavy cream together into a bowl & set aside.
- Add coconut milk, lemon zest & sugar into a large sauce pan. Heat over medium heat stirring frequently until sugar dissolves, then remove from heat.
- Add some of the warm coconut milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper, then slowly add the egg yolk mixture into the coconut milk mixture and stir well to combine. Return to medium heat and cook until mixture thickens. Remove from heat & stir in vanilla extract and limoncello.
- Allow to cool slightly, cover with cling wrap and place in the fridge to cool completely.
- When you’re ready to make your gelato stir in the lemon juice & shredded coconut and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.
“It is probable that the lemon is the most valuable of all fruit for preserving health.” Maud Grieve: ‘A Modern Herbal’ (1931)